Saturday 25 November 2017

Parody

"A 20- Year Age Gap Makes No Difference". You can find the original article here.

I have chosen to parody this article from the New York Times written by Lauren Lancaster. The opinion editorial writer explores the relationship between Liz Axelrod and James Olson, which has a 20 year age gap, with a bias towards accepting the age gap. I have decided to parody this article with a satirical tone in order criticise the ideology behind age gaps and the ever so romanticised lolita complex in pop-culture, such as the books/films: Lolita,  Manhattan, American Beauty, Leon: the Professional.

--

It was early 2017 when Mary Bob finally turned 18, not only that but it was the year that she met James Brown at a Manhattan bar. He thought he was cute, and she thought he mature, like cheddar. They kept talking and talking, and they went from one bar onto the next until they eventually found themselves at an around the clock cafe at 12 a.m., but that was when James had to go because he was starting to fall asleep. It wasn't until then that Mary Bob realised that he was 20 years her senior. The conversation unfolded as such:
"Don't be such a grandpa, the night's still young!"
"Well can you blame me, I'm almost forty."
...

"Yes, I was a little shocked. I thought he would be old, but not that old" she confessed during the interview. "Did it put you off?" I asked. "Not at all, I remember thinking we had tons of things in common, but the age difference could be problematic. But then I found out more about him. He's friends with two of my uncles, so I felt really safe. It just felt right. It doesn't bother him, so it doesn't bother me."

As the ever so romantic holiday Valentines day rolled around, James didn't want to make too much of a big deal out of it, "I mean we should celebrate our relationship every day, instead of depending on commercial holidays to do fun things." And that's when they turned to doing their favourite thing, watching their favourite films. However, they do tend to face the complication as all of James' films are on VHS, whereas Mary didn't even have the likes of a cd player. A pirater at best.

Their relationship cemented after they decided to take the next step and get married.

"When my dad and Mary started dating, he was just so happy, I think they have a great connection, and honestly even if she's just a few months older than me, I can't help to find a maternal comfort in her." James' daughter seems to support them truly. Their friend Nolan, from church, that knew them both personally, spoke similarly about the couple, "They fit like a puzzle and they look out for each other, and that's all that really matters."

No comments:

Post a Comment